Thursday 24 March 2011

HMRC, you are joking aren't you?

Received in the post this morning a letter from HMRC chasing money:

"We are sure you appreciate the link between companies paying their taxes promptly and the allocation of money to public services from which we all benefit."

Appreciate?

ap·pre·ci·ate

verb, -at·ed, -at·ing.
1.
to be grateful or thankful for: They appreciated histhoughtfulness.
–verb (used with object)
2.
to value or regard highly; place a high estimate on: toappreciate good wine.
3.
to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect: to appreciatethe dangers of a situation.


Am I grateful? Er, No.

Do I value or regard highly? That's another no.

Am I fully conscious of? I'm afraid so. It is because I am aware that I object.

I wonder which public services they think I think are a benefit?  There are not many.

And how many are value for money? Even fewer.

Let's be clear I agree with some services being paid for out of taxes. I have a big problem with the state providing the services.  (Almost) all services should be provided by anyone other than the state.

For example I agree with state funded education. I object to schools being run by the state. The state should give an education voucher for each child, value dependant on age, to be cashed in at the school of OUR choice.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I don't benefit from anything the government provides, in fact I try to keep as big a distance as possibly between myself and government "services".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Bucko. The first one. No prize I'm afraid.

    Liked your post on the EDL demo by the way.

    ReplyDelete