Wednesday 3 November 2010

Coming back to the UK

One thing that always bugs me is UK passport control. I can swan around Europe enjoying the only benefit of the EU, the Schengen agreement. When I leave or return to the UK some jobsworth checks my passport.

In recent years this seems to have become more irritating with long queues at UK airports waiting to be processed. It always gets me muttering about fascist pigs.

I don't see myself as a racist because in everyday life I don't care if the people I deal with are black, white or yellow. I do care if they speak English properly so that rules out half of the low life in this country.

That said Luton and Heathrow airports aggravate my usual irritation at passport control. Here some non English, I don't say British because the government allocates that label to any Tom, Dick or Rasta, here some non English bod is posted to challange my right to enter my own country.

Is it any surprise that at these moments I feel like I am entering an occupied country?

No comments:

Post a Comment